Friday, November 23, 2012

My first digital endeavours

Well well, she of the analogue preference has actually bought something this week she never thought she would. Lookit:


That's right. It's a tablet computer. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for those who care about stuff like that. I decided against an i-pad because through google this baby integrates with my phone and automatically takes over my preferred apps and settings which is kind of nifty. Anyway, now I got one I spent most of the past nights trying to tweak it to my liking and looking into the wonderful yet confusing world of apps.

Of course I already have a nice amount of apps on my phone, but this is the first time that I actually looked into creative and artsy apps. No matter how much I love my phone I just don't see myself drawing and sketching on it. I do use it all the time for photography, which is a thing I cannot see myself doing with the tab, although technically it is possible. All of that has to do with the screen size of course. Photography is easier with a small gadget and drawing is more practical with a big one. That's just how it works.

Anyway, so I downloaded some paid and free apps for drawing/sketching/painting and photo-editing and yesterday I did my first two pieces of....um....art...




Please keep in mind that these were made just to test some of the brushes in two different apps and not really well thought out pieces of anything. ;-) Still, I love what you can do with these apps. Especially the second one. It looks like I went through some very intricate complicated strokes there, but it does that all by itself just by picking certain brushes. It's so much fun! The first one is from an app that seems more intended for children. I'll share the names of the apps once I make sure that they are really to my liking and I've had a bit more experience with them.

I have some more complicated ones that I still need to get into, but I just wanted to show you my first two tablet pieces of art, just 'cause it was such a joy to make them. Like an e-reader will never replace real books for me, this tab will never replace my studio, but both sure are convenient and fun to play with. So I will probably be showing you all some digital stuff from time to time in the future and let's hope my results will improve over time (although I don't dislike these). I also just got a stylus, so I can draw a bit more precise, the above were done with my finger.

If any of you know of a good artsy app I'm open to suggestions and if any of you have dabbled with digital tablet art I would love to see it. Leave a comment if you have something to share and I'll check it out.

Another question: does anybody know of a good app for blogging that interacts with blogger? The Blogger app absolutely sucks and I simply refuse to use it. It's completely unfit for bloggers who want to show a lot of imagery and adapt the size and captions of their images. Tips are welcome.

Time for wishing you all a wonderful and artsy weekend. I'll be having my first full weekend to myself in four weeks, so I'm pretty pleased right now. I want to play!