Friday, June 28, 2013

Let me take you to London! - Day 1

Well hello, my lovely blogsy people! How are you all doing?

It's been a while, but I'm back from my trip to London which was both wonderful and exhausting. I have decided to give you a day by day account of my wonderful vacation, so if you don't like my slideshows, well you can just skip my blog for the next week or so and come back later, no offense taken. ;-)

However if you would like to vicariously travel along through some of what this city has to offer you are most welcome to join me. I will be posting daily for the coming 8 days with pictures I took with my smart phone. I also took a truckload of pictures with my camera, but it's a lot more work to get those blog ready, so I'm taking the easy road. Don't worry, I have taken most shots with both my camera's especially for you so you won't miss a thing.

If you have been tagging along with me on Facebook you may have already seen a lot of these photos, but without any commentary, so if you want to know  more about what you were seeing on my timeline, here's your chance!

If you're only here for the artsy stuff, well you'll be pleased to know I kept a journal while I was there and I will show you all about that after the slideshows are over, okay? Still, some pages may slip through the cracks of the photography posts. You never know.... ;-)

Well, pack up your bags, get your passport ready, for we are going on a trip!

LONDON DAY ONE

Day 1 was mostly about getting there. As you know I live in a somewhat remote place, so even though London is just a short flight from Amsterdam, getting to Amsterdam in the first place is quite an undertaking. ;-)

All trips start on the ferry and this one was no different. I figured I might as well get my sketchbook London ready.

I went by train to Schiphol Airport where I arrived way too early. But that was fine by me. Lots to see.

I'm no hero flying and somehow messages like this don't make me feel safer. ;-)

I'm not petrified though, so taxiing we go!

And we have lift off!

I'm a scarety cat, but fascinated by the beauty of it all. Flying really is a bit of a miraculous journey, isn't it?

And there she is, the city of cities. Hello London. The landing was....um...bumpy...I got a hint of motion sickness even.

The reason it was bumpy is that the weather wasn't all that good over there when I arrived.

Time to go to the hotel. I stayed at a Travelodge at Kings Cross Road. Not the best neighbourhood and not the best hotel.

But it was clean and everything worked and it had a nice street view. It was good enough for me.

I arrived in the early evening quite tired from travelling, so all I did was visit St. Pancras Station which has this amazing central hall.

I basically went there for some food. The way I do London is as cheap as possible. So no dinner in restaurants, tickets to shows or musicals, paying huge entrance fees for attractions, taking guided tours or going out or anything like that. I live on supermarket food which is very doable if you're not there for a very long time and I visit the attractions that are free or just ask for a small donation. People complain London is very expensive and it can be, but you can do a lot of great stuff there at hardly any costs.


After the shopping and getting settled in my room I pretty much just relaxed for the rest of the night and got ready for the real exploring I would do the rest of the week.