Sunday, September 27, 2015

A weekend getaway - some paintings and a video

While I'm on a real vacation I am showing you pictures and impressions of a weekend getaway I got to have on the island of Schiermonnikoog a few weeks ago. In the last three posts I showed you the pictures I took during the several walks across the island and today I thought I'd show you some art.

I didn't make a travel journal or anything like that. I just took my regular journal and wrote and I will add some of the pictures from my previous posts to it. But...I did continue with my morning paintings and since I was on a trip I thought I would let them be scenes from the trip itself. I used my photographs as a reference.

So every morning in my apartment (all three mornings I was there) I sat down at the kitchen table and painted. Here's are the results:

This is the beach pavillion near 'my' building on the first night. I love how this one turned out.

The lighthouse with a quirky perspective. ;-)

A bridge over water. This one I found 'meh'.

My morning paintings are usually from my imagination. I like painting flowers and mandala's and such. The only realistic thing I usually do are portraits and those I do pretty well. But landscapes are a whole different animal and I have no idea how people do them.

This did inspire me to go to youtube and learn and to buy a book on watercolour with special attention for landscapes. I want to know how to render those different green textures. You know...in case I go on other trips, or want to paint my own island. ;-)

I didn't really take any pictures on day 4. I basically just packed and cleaned in the morning and traveled all day. But...before I left I did make a little video from the op of a dune and I thought I'd share it with you as a goodbye to a wonderful weekend getaway.


The building you see at the end of the video is the building I stayed in. Location, location! ;-)

Well, with that we end our weekend trip. When this gets published I will be on my way home from my real vacation, so you can expect more slideshows very soon. That's a strange idea, because as I am writing this my vacation is still one week away. Don't you just love technology? ;-)

I hope you enjoyed walking with me on another island and I wish you all a wonderful and artsy day!