Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Open grids

My love of grids can no longer be a surprise to you.
What is a surprise is how I can still find new ways to play with them. A thing I have been interested in lately is doing what I call 'open grid drawings'.

Usually I have the tendency to fill a page to the brim with colour, but now I am experimenting leaving empty spaces in between my patterns. It's a whole new grid world to explore!

Here are some examples of what I mean:





I will often work on these later in the evening when the day is mostly done. They relax me and give me an artsy closing to my day. I just sit on the couch with my feet up and this book on my lap and a podcast in my ears and all is well with the world.

I also enjoy exploring different colour combinations. To step out of my own comfort zone I sometimes like to look for colour palettes online and so use combinations I would not think of myself. The last two drawings are a result of that.

All these were done in Stabilo 68 felt tip pens, still my favorites for playing with grids. The sketchbook is a Moleskine XL softcover squared book. I love the size of this book which is very close to B5.

Hope you are exploring new angles of your favorite pastimes and that it is bringing you joy. Have a wonderful and artsy day!